Getty Images API Forums

Feature Requests

RSS Feed

Canonical URLs for images, videos

1. Hi,

as far as I can see, images and videos are identified by an "id" property but there's no canonical URL / URI for assets.

I'm looking for an official "permalink" to use in Linked Data, which would allow different systems to check whether they're referring to the same Getty Images asset.

This metadata URL in the API doesn't seem a good permanent identifier since it'll break when the API version changes:

https://api.gettyimages.com/v3/image?id=ASSET-ID

Could you add a "url" or "uri" property, or document how to construct one from the "id"? That would be great.

Our use case is enterprise DAM systems connected to several image agencies; we need to normalize their APIs and metadata structures and I want to use Linked Data for that. More in this blog post:

RDF and schema.org for DAM interoperability

Thanks, Tim Strehle

Message edited by Tim Strehle 9 months ago

2. Getty Images Matt9 months ago

Hi Tim... we don't maintain a thing that's exactly what you're looking for.

About the closest canonical URL I can think of is the "referral_destinations" field, which provides the URL(s) for the pages on our websites on which you can find a given image or video. Those may change from time to time, but I'm pretty sure we redirect old URLs to more current versions.

Does that help?

-Matt

3. Tim Strehle9 months ago

Hi Matt,

thanks for the reply! This example "referral_destinations" URL looks pretty good to me for my purposes:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/president-barack-obama-and-german-chancellor-angela-merkel-news-photo/523973002

I see there can be multiple destinations, and they have a "site_name" property. The image I checked returned only one destination, and the site_name was "gettyimages". Is there some documentation on which additional destinations might be returned so I know which one to pick?

Thanks, Tim

4. Getty Images Matt9 months ago

We don't have the site_name values documented, but I can tell you that they are:

istockphoto

thinkstock

gettyimages

[ Page 1 of 1 ]